There are a variety of reasons why eCPM may be on the low side. Here are some best practices to make sure you are getting the highest eCPM possible for your app and region.
1. If your userbase is low, establish strategies to increase users for your app and improve user acquisition (UA)
Focus on UA in geographical regions where advertisers typically pay more for ad placements. Generally, more users accessing your app from established markets including North America or Europe may result in higher eCPM from advertisers who buy your ad inventory.
2. Encourage more user engagement with ads running in your app
Another key strategy is to get your users to interact with ads more frequently. There are a couple of ways to do this.
- Run more ads in your app. You can run more ads in your app or more engaging formats such as rewarded video, but note that running too many ads can annoy or distract your users.
- Make your app more compelling. If you incentivize longer in-app sessions by improving user experience, fixing bugs, and regularly updating your app with features that will delight your users, your users may spend more time on your app, which equals more opportunities to interact with ads.
3. Run a variety of ad formats in your app
Banner ads have strong demand, but historically lower CPMs than other ad formats. Try running full-screen ads like interstitials and rewarded video, as these formats may be more effective at monetizing your audience because of their relatively higher CPMs.
You can learn more about how to work with different ad formats in our ad formats article.
4. Add more ad networks to your app
It’s better to have lots of networks bidding for your users’ attention than to exclusively rely on AppLovin. This increases competition, and when competition increases so does eCPM.
Many variables impact which networks are best for your app, including geo, ad type, platform, type of app, and more.
We recommend the following strategies to figure out the best strategy for your app:
- Run A/B tests to determine the impact of adding/removing specific networks.
- Research which ad networks are strong in the regions where you have users. You can reach out to these networks directly to understand their demand makeup.
- Prioritize bidding networks when possible.
To learn more about the networks AppLovin supports, please see our Mediation Matrix.
Make sure your ad integration follows our policy
To avoid account suspension, implement the following checks and strategies can greatly reduce your risk of suspension:
- Review AppLovin policy and our Terms and Conditions.
- Make sure app-ads.txt is implemented.
- Follow all applicable data and user privacy policies and laws for your app.
Review our blog on how to improve your MAX experience
For more tips and tricks for improving your MAX experience, including how to optimize and increase your eCPM and overall ad revenue, check out our blog, Quick Tips to help you Maximize Your MAX Experience.