The following onboarding instructions and tips will help you transition quickly and seamlessly from MoPub to MAX.
Check out this video for a MAX feature overview and tips to help you get the most out of MAX.
Step 1. Sign up for an AppLovin account or log in to your existing AppLovin account
If you created a new AppLovin account for MAX, make sure to set up your payment details in the AppLovin dashboard. Remember that revenue generated through MoPub Marketplace will continue to be paid by Twitter until 3/31. Payment information will not transfer.
Step 2. Download the latest AppLovin SDK
Migrating to a new mediation platform will require a brand new integration and an app update. To benefit from all the new features, make sure to use the latest AppLovin SDK v11.0+ iOS / Android / Unity / Adobe Air / Cordova / React Native / Unreal.
- Integrate MAX and be sure to include the mediated network SDKs and MAX adapters for the networks you want to work with.
- Uninstall the MoPub SDK and then release the new app version using MAX as the new mediation solution. The best way to ensure proper removal is to reverse the steps that were taken to integrate the SDK, including removing the MoPub SDK API calls made within the application code.
- Learn more about ad logic parity between MAX and MoPub.
Step 3. Migrate your MoPub waterfall configurations
Use the Import Ad Unit feature to easily automate your migration.
- Create ad units using these instructions. While creating ad units, if your app can’t be found in the app store, then make sure you entered it correctly or enter it manually.
- Use the Import Ad Unit feature to migrate your entire portfolio. To start, go to the Ad Unit page, select the MAX ad unit you created, and then enter your MoPub API key. Your waterfall will be imported automatically.
To create Fire OS ad units or get further help, reach out to our team.
Step 4. Validate your integration
Use the Mediation Debugger to validate your integration. It will automatically:
- Confirm you have integrated the latest SDK and adapter versions listed in MAX documentation under Preparing Mediated Networks.
- Ensure your privacy flags are properly set.
Use Mediation Debugger’s Test Mode to verify that you have successfully integrated ad networks that are mediated by MAX.
Step 5. Follow ad format best practices
- Be sure to use a single ad unit ID for each size, for each app to simplify the onboarding process.
- Simplify your setup wherever possible. We recommend using a single ad unit ID for each size, for each app for easier waterfall management. For example, do not use 5 interstitials separated by session depth or by individual app sections in a single app.
- Use a single ad unit ID per ad format to ensure that you always have an ad cached and can avoid unnecessary app/user bandwidth usage.
- Test your native ad placements in different apps, app categories, or regions to determine what works best. This gives real-time bidders accuracy in maximizing their bids as they optimize based on correct session depth.
If you already have an existing setup using multiple ad units and waterfalls, you do not need to merge your ad units into a single ad unit ID per format.
For enhanced reporting, use the MAX Ad Placement feature to differentiate performance across different ad placements within your app. (e.g. Rewarded_StorePage, Rewarded_LevelEnd).
Interstitial and Rewarded:
- Load the next ad immediately after a user dismisses an interstitial or rewarded ad.
- Retry with exponentially higher delays up to a maximum delay. (Here are detailed instructions for each type: Android interstitials, Android rewarded, iOS interstitials, iOS rewarded, Unity interstitials, Unity rewarded.)
- Keep the banner unit on-screen at all times. If the banner is hidden, pause the banner auto-refresh until the banner is shown again.
- Match the ad’s design with the look and feel of your app for a better user experience.
- Clearly indicate the ad is an ad. It’s critical that the users can differentiate ads from content.
Step 6. Enable / connect networks
Enable auto-CPM calibration within MAX. This will align your MAX placement CPMs with network-reported stats, creating a more competitive waterfall with optimized revenue outcomes.
Step 7. Review creatives with the Ad Review tool
Review the creatives displayed by various mediated networks in your apps and flag any issues directly to your network partners with Ad Review’s email feature.
Step 8. Share user-level revenue data for better user acquisition returns
MAX offers a few different options for sharing user-level revenue data with your MMP or your own analytics solution:
- For direct integrations (MAX delivers data to you), data can be shared via our User Revenue API on the client-side, or via an S2S configuration.
- MAX also partners with several MMPs so developers can access impression-level or aggregated ad revenue data seamlessly within those platforms. Please see the MAX S2S impression revenue API.
- To avoid discrepancies, be sure to use the latest version of the Unity plugin and AppLovin SDK.
Step 9. Review MAX data to analyze performance
Use the Analyze tab to learn more about the reporting tools, including:
- Performance reporting (eCPM, revenue, impressions)
- User activity reporting (DAU, DAV, ARPDAU, imp/DAU)
- Cohort reporting (user life-cycle analysis)
- Creative reporting
- Automation / Reporting APIs
If you need any assistance during migration and beyond, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.